2009/04/29

So, We Meet Again ... Facebook

A student at last night’s English Corner had asked me if I used Facebook. I quickly followed with a series of attacks against Facebook’s usefulness.

From my understanding, Facebook can do all of what I can already do on my blog. So, why would I abandon my blog to use something that provides many of the same functions?

Can anyone give me a convincing arguement as to why Facebook would be worth the time and energy when I already have a blog?

Image: Snippit from my MSN list. Kevin's message the same as it's been for a long time.

5 comments:

Kevin St.Cyr (we all have a little narcissist in us) said...

You don't abandon your blog. The blog is 'public'. If you blogged exclusively on Facebook it would become just that.

Facebook is a social networking site. It's not for blogging although you can 'get' Facebook applications for blogging. But it better combines aspects of apps like MSN, Photobucket and YouTube into one online product.

Blogging is reporting, not the same as social networking.

I want to say something about NARCISSISM, but I realize that a narcissist can use any online forum equaly well.

Anonymous said...

hi mickle:
In my point of view,facebook is more convenient.You can make more friends through facebook, yet as to blog,only a few of people know it.You have to spend a lot of time making your blog known!Don't you think so?

-Mike

Michael S. Wasylyniuk said...

I would be abandoning my blog if I had to manage facebook as well. I don't have time to spend on both.

I don't need a social networking site. I physically go to about 4 or 5 social networking locations a week. And you?

In response to your oh so clever drop of "NARCISSISM",

My blog is very much a part of my WORK. It's a form of being social with our potential, and existing clientel. It's social aspect is supported/backed by a significant individual.

Michael S. Wasylyniuk said...

Mike, I agree with you.

I will check out the facebook site, and see what I can learn about it.

/cheers

Michael S. Wasylyniuk said...

5 comments deleted at the request of their author.

Reason: Comments posted were a means for private communication, and not meant for the blog.

:P For future reference, append instructions for your comments everybody, or use email.