2008/10/27

Poached Eggs?


File size: 1.06MB Format: .3gp

It's quite funny. A while back, something uncommon (but not rare) happened to my friend Chris Watts while he was in Shanghai. Sitting down in a public location, what appeared to be a Chinese national placed his son right next to him, and proceeded to take a photo. If I recall his story correctly, Chris turned his head away from the camera. Or, he got up and left. One of the two, I can't exactly recall.

From time to time, I too have experienced some sneak photography, seemingly to them, a "papparazzi" opportunity. Some even try to be descreet, aiming their cell cam at you while trying to be inconspicuous.

I decided to up my level of personal security and took extra steps at controlling the acquisition and usage of photos of me, in an attempt to reserve a right that didn't transfer with me or my luggage when I came to China. Under these conditions, one can only be so successful.

In early summer of this year, I went to the neighbouring city of Kaifeng, which I enjoyed by the way. Very beautiful. However, when I arrived at the location I was to work at for 2 hours, I noticed an old photo of me on their school banner . . . I was not thrilled.

The reason I am mentioning this now, is because something happened to me the other day. I was having my haircut, and when it was finished I stood up and found that they had been videotaping me. Remembering what someone had told me long ago, I pulled out my cell phone and started recording them in what was supposedly the most effective way to get them to stop. I didn't think it would work when I originally heard the idea. After putting it to the test, I found that unfortunately . . . I was right.

Photo: No photo
Video: Me filming them filming me, filming them. Filming me. No permissions acquired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is funny and weird....