2008/12/11

Firefly


I found this interesting.

This link http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/260010/Serenity/chineseslang.pdf is for the pen and paper game for Firefly (Serenity). It was linked to me by Kurt Hebron.

I remember watching the Firefly DVDs on my friend Kevin’s big screen TV over the months and days before leaving for China. Despite a few mixed DVDs in incorrect cases, no DVDs were harmed in the viewing of this series.

Upon inspection of the link above, I noticed a few discrepancies in the pinyin (Romanized English phonetics of the Chinese language) used for Firefly. Additionally, the pronunciation was too inaccurate for my Chinese friends to understand when we watched the Serenity movie here.

Now if I recall correctly from the extras on the Firefly box set DVDs, the writers would have a Chinese contact call her friends in China for phrase translations.

They explain the confusion somewhere in the series extras, but I have my own theories as to more possible factors involved in why the pinyin and pronunciation is how it is.

Photo: Firefly, an awesome (but too short) series of which I was reluctant to enjoy, despite strong recommendations from others. I would have listened to their testimonials, but they had heavy accents and it was difficult to understand. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the all the seasons of firefly... loved it... and the movie... anyways thought id point that out... Im going back to read the blog... cause i saw the picture and quickly commented!

Anonymous said...

Anyone know anything about emails and copyright laws; who owns emails, the person who sent them or the person who recieves them?

Anonymous said...

If you're interested in keeping an eye on it, I'm tracking what news there is about the Firefly MMO on fireflymmo.com. Not that there's been a whole lot lately...

Michael S. Wasylyniuk said...

Lisa said "I watched the all the seasons of firefly... loved it... and the movie... anyways thought id point that out... Im going back to read the blog... cause i saw the picture and quickly commented!"

Ahh the wonders of act first and think later.

Anonymous said "Anyone know anything about emails and copyright laws; who owns emails, the person who sent them or the person who recieves them?"

If I'm not mistaken, an email is the respective property of the email service provider.

Drew that sounds good. Personally I've lost a lot of interest in MMO's, and each time I do, my return duration to MMO's have become shorter and shorter.