2009/03/29

Unknown Caller


It's not hard to explain.

In China, the exchange of contact information (i.e. cell phone numbers) is quite common. In my 2.5 years time here, I've relinquished my number, less and less. Maybe it’s that I just don't like talking on cell phones. So, why do I even have a cell phone?

From experience being without a cell phone in a foreign country, I've found that it brings a nice level of security. I send text messages a lot, what can I say, I spam! However, I rarely make any calls unless it’s really necessary. Having my work numbers on my phone helps if I'm having difficulty communicating.

I had trouble with people sharing my number, at first. Later troubled by people who refused to identify themselves, or confess to who it was that gave them my number. One young female caller made numerous offers. I threatened to call the police if she called me again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

But it's also difficult for your friends to get a hold of you when they travelled half way around the world to see you.

Michael S. Wasylyniuk said...

Special circumstances.

Anonymous said...

You ARE a special circumstance.

Screen that!

Unknown said...

hey,im a student who born in zhengzhou.you are in zhengzhou,right?which school do you teach?And may i have your msn address?

Michael S. Wasylyniuk said...

Welcome to my blog.

I am in Zhengzhou, and I work at dian feng wai yu (I think) Pinnacle English http://www.pinnacle-edu.com/ on ren zhai bei jie, wen hua lu.

Unknown said...

thank you,Mike.maybe i can say welcome to my hometown,but i am in beijing.so hope you have a good time in zhengzhou.

Unknown said...

thank you Mike!so hope you have a good time in zhengzhou!

Unknown said...

thank you Mike!so hope you have a good time in zhengzhou!

Terry said...

Is the tiny phone in the pic yours? It is incredible!
Well, according to my judgement, you are indeed a private person.
Don't mind, Buddy.